at the Laboratory for MicroMechanics of Materials is concentrated on
and modeling of materials (including composites, superplastic, magnetic
film layered structures/nanostructures) for applications in renewable/clean
energy and energy conversion
devices as well as biomedical and tissue engineering. The main emphasis
investigate the effect of microstructure, morphology and processing
parameters on functional properties of such materials including
magnetic and electronic/ionic transport properties for variety of
such as Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFCs), Solar Cells and scaffold
A variety of analytical approaches together with computational analysis (statistical analysis and neural network are used to characterize the distribution of the microstructure and its linkage to these properties. One major emphasis is to apply the concept of n-point probability functions to composites (elastic, plastic and magnetic materials) and finally to polycrystalline materials and layered structures at the nanoscale for the design and comprehensive understanding of the microstructure-property-performance relationship in composite micro/nanostructures for next generation devices.
Congratulations to Zohreh Razavi Hesabi, Banafsheh Barabadi, Nageh K. Allam, and Prof Mostafa A. El-Sayed and Prof Hamid Garmestani for their cover image on Nano Today, Volume 8, Issue 3 (June 2013)
1. Hamedani HA, Allam NK, Garmestani H, El-Sayed MA. "Sr-Doped TiO2 Nanotube Arrays: Synthesis, Characterization, and Enhanced Photoelectrochemical Water Oxidation Characteristics." Journal of the Physical Chemistry C. Accepted for publication.
2. Tabei A, Fergani O, Garmestani H, Liang SY. "Analysis of Micro-texture and Grain Size Distributions in Machined Aluminum Alloy 7075." Innovative Materials: Engineering and Applications. 2014;1052:489-94. doi: 10.4028/http://www.scientific.net /AMR.1052.489. PubMed PMID: WOS:000348441700084.
3. Legrand E, Bouhattate J, Oudriss A, Frappart S, Creus J, Feaugas X, et al. "Response to comments on "Computational analysis of geometrical factors affecting experimental data extracted from hydrogen permeation test: I - Consequences of trapping." Int J Hydrog Energy. 2014;39(34):19851-2. doi: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.09.139. PubMed PMID: WOS:000345192300046.
4. Hamedani HA, Khaleel JA, Dahmen KH, Garmestani H. "Surface Controlled Growth of Thin-Film Strontium Titanate Nanotube Arrays on Silicon." Crystal Growth & Design. 2014;14(10):4911-9. doi: 10.1021/cg500374m. PubMed PMID: WOS:000342609300009.
5. Hamedani HA, Baniassadi M, Sheidaei A, Pourboghrat F, Remond Y, Khaleel M, et al. "Three-Dimensional Reconstruction and Microstructure Modeling of Porosity-Graded Cathode Using Focused Ion Beam and Homogenization Techniques." Fuel Cells. 2014; 14(1):91-5. doi: 10.1002/fuce.201300170. PubMed PMID: WOS:000331904000011.
6. Hamedani HA, Allam NK, El-Sayed MA, Khaleel MA, Garmestani H, Alamgir FM. "An Experimental Insight into the Structural and Electronic Characteristics of Strontium-Doped Titanium Dioxide Nanotube Arrays." Advanced Functional Materials. 2014;24(43):6783-96. doi: 10.1002/adfm.201401760. PubMed PMID: WOS:000345225800005.
7. Fergani O, Tabei A, Garmestani H, Liang SY. "Prediction of polycrystalline materials texture evolution in machining via Viscoplastic Self-Consistent modeling." Journal of Manufacturing Processes. 2014;16(4):543-50. doi: 10.1016/j.jmapro.2014.07.004. PubMed PMID: WOS:000349566800014.
8. Aliya D, Walker LW, Montz E, Pastor S, Abad A, Hashim FA, et al. "Characterization of the Effects of Active Filler-Metal Alloys in Joining Ceramic-to-Ceramic and Ceramic-to-Metal Materials." In: Ochsner A, Murch G, Belova I, editors. Advanced Diffusion Processes and Phenomena 2014. p. 167-73.
9. H. A. Hamedani, M. Baniassadi, A. Sheidaei, F. Pourboghrat, Y. Remond, M. Khaleel, et al., "Three-Dimensional Reconstruction and Microstructure Modeling of Porosity-Graded Cathode Using Focused Ion Beam and Homogenization Techniques," Fuel Cells, vol. 14, pp. 91-95, Feb 2014.
10. M. Baniassadi, M. Safdari, H. Garmestani, S. Ahzi, P. H. Geubelle, and Y. Remond, "An optimum approximation of n-point correlation functions of random heterogeneous material systems," Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 140, Feb 2014.